The SimplyHome system can be customized to support individuals during cooking, baking, and meal preparation routines. This system primarily focuses on skill building and technology in the kitchen and creates opportunities for independence without continuous staff presence in the home. Caregivers or staff can be alerted if concerns arise, such as the stove or other appliances being left on.
Who do we consider?
- Individuals who cook their meals independently
- Individuals who want to gain meal preparation skills
- Individuals with concerns about leaving the stove on or burning something
- Individuals who have a basic sense of safety and know to alert staff if there is a concern or emergency
What will we achieve?
- Cooking meals safely and independently using stove-top and oven
- Awareness of safety issues related to stove and oven usage
- Enhanced care management and activities of daily living education
- Reduction of unnecessary on-site staffing for individuals who can cook/bake
What technology do we use?
- A SimplyHome System, including components such as:
- Stove sensor (for notifications to caregivers if the stove is left on too long)
- Motion sensors in the kitchen and dining areas (if motion is detected or stove is turned on, then no motion is detected during a specified time afterwards)
- Paging pendant (to obtain caregiver or emergency assistance)
- Smoke detector
What rules can alert staff, family members or the individuals themselves?
- When the stove is turned on at any time, left on for too long, or turned on at certain times of day/night
- When the stove is turned on and there is no movement in the kitchen for some time
- When the stove is turned on and the individual leaves the home
- When paging pendant is pressed (to alert staff to a concern)
- When smoke is detected in an area of the home
Pearlie lives in her own apartment and enjoys cooking. She likes to use both the stove-top and the oven, but has forgotten on some occasions to turn the oven off. Her remote support system includes a stove sensor that sends alerts if the stove is left on for more than 45 minutes. There is also a motion sensor in the kitchen, so if the stove is on and she leaves the room, she is reminded to return to the kitchen and finish cooking.