Wandering & Elopement
Wandering and elopement are key safety issues that often require additional support by staff, caregivers, and family members. Our remote support system can enable staff and caregivers to respond proactively and redirect behaviors when individuals exit the home.
Who do we consider?
- Individuals who wander at night or have Alzheimer’s or other types of dementia
- Individuals who do not recognize or understand safety issues related to wandering
- Individuals who have the skills to live independently but need guidance on behavioral outcomes
What will we achieve?
- Greater opportunities for privacy and independent living
- Proactive rather than reactive staff responses
- Reduce unnecessary onsite staffing for “just in case” situations
What technology do we use?
- A SimplyHome System, including components such as:
- Door and window sensors (to sense entrance and exit)
- Motion sensors in living space (to look for inactivity or falls)
- Bed and chair pressure pads (to monitor unusual activity/inactivity)
What rules can alert staff, family members or the individuals themselves?
- When a door or window is opened at any time or within certain time frames
- When motion is detected near a door or window sensor
- When an individual does/does not activate a bed or chair pad within certain time frames
- When the individual gets out of bed and approaches a certain area of the home
Provider Creates Opportunities for Independence
One New York provider has created supported living opportunities for individuals who have issues with leaving their apartments at night and who need to be supervised while out in the community.
Through using our remote support systems, the clients are able to enjoy private living spaces without having staff on site around the clock. Instead, staff are able to provide support when the individuals are out in the community, and are able to respond quickly if issues with wandering or elopement arise.
By using our remote support technology, the staff were able to significantly reduce their onsite presence while still being available for 24-hour proactive support.