Independence is within your reach
Environmental Controls (EC) enable individuals with limited mobility to operate the home environment. Through the use of a tablet, individuals can use touch, voice-activated, or switch controls to manage lights, doors, TVs, the thermostat, and more. Whether a person has physical disabilities or is choosing to age in place, Environmental Controls opens doors to greater independence, privacy, and safety.
Our Environmental Controls system wirelessly integrates with a tablet to provide access to various components of the home, including:
- Controlling who has access to your home through video doorbell technology, door openers, and remotely locking doors
- Adjusting the comfort level of your home through smart thermostats, ceiling fans, overhead lights, and lamps
- Operating devices such as televisions, Apple TV, and other electronics
We provide multiple options for tablet access, such as attaching it to a wall or furniture, a wheelchair mount, or a floor stand.
The EC system can also be paired with our SimplyHome System that generates alerts to caregivers if there is a change in motion or daily routine. The SimplyHome System can connect the user to caregiver support, either by client request or by generating alerts if sensors notice a change in daily routine or a concern that needs to be addressed.
See how Environmental Controls changes everything:
Three individuals who work with the Charles Lea Center, Anthony, Nathan, and Bobby, use technology to gain more independence in their home and freedom in their schedules: Trio of Charles Lea clients enjoying freedom, new home
The video below also features Environmental Controls, narrating Anthony's journey as he navigates family expectations and his own desire for independence:
A custom-built SimplyHome Environmental Controls system was also featured on ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition:
Pricing varies depending on customization. Because each system is as unique as the individuals we serve, the system price varies depending on the concerns being addressed.
What’s in the box?
- Items in the box depend on your specific customizations.
- A Wi-Fi SimplyHome router.
- A tablet can be purchased independently or through SimplyHome.
- Wi-Fi services
- Software that SimplyHome will install on your tablet
- For some voice activation controls, SimplyHome will be on-site to install the required parts
What is the benefit of Environmental Controls?
- You can control different items of your household by the command of your voice or a tablet. You can open and close doors, turn lights on and off, adjust the angle of the bed, turn the TV on and off and change channels, as well as adjust the temperature in your home
- Helps people who lack full mobility through the use of a tablet or iPad that can be activated by touch, a switch or voice
- Increased independence can reduce the need for paid staff, cut down on demands of the family and provide some much-needed privacy for the individual with a disability
Is private pay my only option?
No. While private pay is always an option, our technology is also covered through long-term care insurance, Medicaid (differs from state to state), and charitable programs or grants, such as the No Place Like Home program. See our Funding page for more details.
What is the installation like?
A SimplyHome Representative will be onsite to assist with the installation.
How do I get started?
Complete our Environmental Controls Intake.
Are the Environmental Control items wireless?
It depends on the product. We provide a wired and wireless solution for most of our products, but wiring is required for some products. The primary environmental control solution that requires wiring would be control of overhead lights.
How are the Environmental Control items installed in my home?
SimplyHome Environmental Controls must be installed by a SimplyHome approved technician. The type of installation depends on the type of environmental control solution provided and the type of user interface provided. The technology we utilize is unobtrusive and often requires minimal setup and maintenance once installed.
Do I have to purchase all new equipment or can you work with an existing tablet I own?
In most cases you can use a tablet that you already own. Our environmental control solutions work on Android, Apple iOS, and Windows tablet devices. However, recent versions of these devices are required and we cannot guarantee compatibility.
Can the Environmental Controls work in conjunction with my current security system?
No, your current security system cannot be paired to work with a SimplyHome Environmental Controls system.
Tapping an icon on a tablet is difficult for me. Do you have any solutions for this?
To provide solutions for difficulty using icons on tablets, we provide adaptive switches, voice control and the ability to customize user interface on a tablet to create larger buttons.