Environmental Controls FAQ
Note: All Ring Video Doorbell™ FAQ's are below, under the "Ring Video Doorbell" section.
What capabilities does your Environmental Controls system have?
Our system can be customized for opening doors, working with video door bells, locking/unlocking door locks, turning lights on/off, controlling ceiling fans, managing HVAC / thermostats, and connecting to cameras, blinds, and AV equipment.
Are all of the Environmental Control items wireless?
It depends on the product. We provide a wired and wireless solution for most of our products, but wiring is required for some products. The primary environmental control solution that requires wiring is the control of overhead lights.
How is an Environmental Controls system installed in my home?
SimplyHome environmental controls must be installed by a SimplyHome-vetted-and-approved technician. The duration and cost of installation depends on the type of environmental control solution provided and the type of user interface provided, whether through a tablet or another device. Once installed, the technology we utilize is unobtrusive and requires minimal maintenance.
Do I have to purchase a new tablet to use with Environmental Controls?
In many cases, you can use a tablet that you already own. Our environmental control solutions work on Android, Apple iOS, and Windows tablets. However, recent versions of these devices are required and we cannot guarantee compatibility.
Can the Environmental Controls be paired to work with my security system?
No, we do not pair clients' security systems to work with environmental controls.
Tapping an icon on a tablet is difficult for me. Do you have any solutions?
We have implemented adaptive switches, voice control and the ability to customize user interface on a tablet to create larger buttons for those with limited dexterity or mobility.
Ring Video Doorbell™ FAQ's
How can I install my Ring Video Doorbell™?
The Ring Video Doorbell™ comes with everything you need to install it on any surface, including wood, stucco, and cement.
To set up the Ring Video Doorbell™:
- Download the free Ring Video Doorbell™ app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store by searching for Ring Video Doorbell™.
- Launch the app and client on the Setup Device button.
- Click Create an Account at the bottom of the screen. Enter your first and last name, email address and password.
- Next, connect the doorbell to your Wi-Fi network (using the app).
- Immediately following the account creation process, you will be prompted to select a device to connect. Please choose the Ring Video Doorbell™.
- You will then be prompted to put the device into setup mode. Do so by pressing the orange button located on the back of the device and pressing Continue. You will notice the LED ring spin white on the front of your Ring Video Doorbell™. This is an indication that your device is in setup mode. This pattern should continue throughout the duration of the Wi-Fi setup process.
- After putting the Ring Video Doorbell™ in setup mode, you will be prompted to go into your smartphone’s or tablet’s Wi-Fi Settings.
- In the list of available networks, find and select the network labeled Ring-xxxxxx.
- After successfully connecting to the Ring network, return to the Ring Video Doorbell™ app and select Continue.
- If setting up on an Android device, the above series of Wi-Fi Setup steps (7-9) are automated.
- If your Android device fails to connect, please refer to the last page of this document for solutions.
- You will then be prompted to connect your Ring Video Doorbell™ to the Wi-Fi network of your choice.
- If the network requires a password, you will be prompted to enter the password during this step.
- Once you input the network's password, the Ring Video Doorbell™ will connect to the chosen Wi-Fi network.
- Once you successfully connect your Ring Video Doorbell™ to your network, your unit will undergo a firmware update.
- The LED ring on the front of the device will display a white intermittent flashing light sequence. Once all LED activity has ended, the firmware update is complete. Mount the doorbell.
How can I replace my existing doorbell with a Ring Video Doorbell™?
- Remove doorbell button (optional).
- Line up the mounting bracket using the provided mounting level.
- Install the mounting bracket using the provided screwdriver bit and handle.
- For brick - use concrete screws and anchors
- For concrete - use concrete screws and anchors
- For stucco - use concrete screws and anchors
- For wood - use wood screws
- For vinyl - use wood screws
- Remove the mounting level.
- Connect your doorbell wiring to the terminal screws located on the mounting bracket (optional).
- Place the device on the mounting bracket.
- Tighten the security screws.
We also recommend watching this video: Replacing Your Existing Wired Doorbell with a Ring Video Doorbell [▷]
What kinds of surfaces can the Ring Video Doorbell™ be mounted on?
Ring Video Doorbells™ can be mounted to multiple surfaces. We provide the tools and equipment necessary to mount the Ring Video Doorbell™ to wood, brick, concrete, and stucco. You can use double sided 2-pound foam compression tape (not included) to attach the mounting bracket to other surfaces like glass, aluminum siding, and other surfaces that can't be drilled.
How long does the battery in the Ring Video Doorbell™ last?
With normal use, your Ring Video Doorbell™ battery will last 6-12 months. The battery may deplete faster if your Ring Video Doorbell is capturing a large number of motion events every day.
The Ring Video Doorbell™ app will notify you when the battery is getting low. Ring Video Doorbell™ products are charged with standard micro-USB cables from any USB power source. If you're using a USB wall charger, the amperage of the charger will affect charging time.
Your Ring Video Doorbell™ will take around 5 hours to fully charge when connected to a 2.1-amp charger (usually marked 2.1a) and around 10 hours when connected to a 1-amp charger (usually marked 1.0a).
How do I charge my Ring Video Doorbell™?
- Remove your Ring Video Doorbell™ from its mounting bracket by removing the two security screws on the base of the doorbell and lifting it up and away from the wall.
- Connect any micro-USB charger to the charging port on the back of the doorbell.
- Your Ring Video Doorbell™ is fully charged when the ring around the doorbell shines blue.
- If the battery in your Ring Video Doorbell™ had fully depleted prior to charging, it may be necessary to manually reconnect it to your Wi-Fi network.
- To check if your Ring Video Doorbell™ has reconnected to Wi-Fi, press the front button on the device. If your Ring Video Doorbell™ plays the normal sound, but you do not receive a notification on your device, it has not reconnected to Wi-Fi.
- If your Ring Video Doorbell™ has not reconnected to Wi-Fi, reconnect it by visiting the Device Health screen in the Ring Video Doorbell™ app, and selecting Reconnect to Wi-Fi.
The following video may also be helpful: How to Charge Your Ring Video Doorbell [▷]
How do I reconnect the Ring Video Doorbell™ to Wi-Fi?
First, make sure your Wi-Fi is active. Then, reconnect the Ring Video Doorbell by visiting the Device Health screen in the Ring Video Doorbell™ app, and selecting Reconnect to Wi-Fi. If this does not work, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will open a help ticket and route your concern to the appropriate team, who will then reach out to you.
Do I have to leave the Ring App open to receive notifications?
No. As long as you’re not signed out of the app, your smartphone or tablet will receive the notification.
How do I accept a call from my Ring Video Doorbell™?
To accept a call from your Ring Video Doorbell™, please follow the below steps:
- Press the front button on the Ring Video Doorbell™. The LED ring will spin blue. You will then receive a push notification on your smartphone or tablet.
- Swipe across the notification to open the app. (If you do not receive a push notification after pressing the button on your Ring Video Doorbell™, please check your device's notification settings to ensure the Ring Video Doorbell™ app's notification are turned On.) You should now see the live video feed.
- Press the Accept button to answer the call. If you press Decline, the visitor will not know you declined the call.
If I am on my smartphone without any Wi-Fi, can I still see visitors?
You don't need a Wi-Fi connection as long as you have internet connectivity and your particular carrier doesn't block video streaming (e.g. FaceTime). If your carrier enables video streaming and you have a good 4G connection, you will see real-time HD video from your Ring Video Doorbell™ anywhere you have coverage.
Will all users be notified when the button is pressed or when motion is detected?
Yes, all users associated with the Ring Video Doorbell™ will be notified and will be able to interact with a visitor. Users can also set their own custom notification settings, for example, you may choose to be notified about all activity, including motion, while your partner may choose to be notified only when someone presses the button on your Ring Video Doorbell™.
Will my Ring Video Doorbell™ send me a push notification if I'm not on Wi-Fi?
You will receive a push notification when you are connected to 3G, 4G, LTE or Wi-Fi. If your phone is offline when activity is detected, you will see a missed call alert in your Recent Activity log within the Ring Video Doorbell™ app.
Does Ring Video Doorbell™ provide a live video feed?
Ring Video Doorbell’s™ connected to home doorbell wiring and Ring Video Doorbell™ Pro have the ability to use Live View, our on-demand viewing feature.
What happens when the Ring Video Doorbell™ detects motion?
Ring Video Doorbell™ can detect motion up to 30 feet away from the device. When motion is detected, the user will instantly receive a mobile push notification, informing them of the activity. If the user decides to open the app, they will be able to access on-demand live footage of the activity. For users with the optional Cloud Recording feature, all motion-triggered events and doorbell button presses are automatically recorded. This footage can be viewed instantly at any time via the Ring Video Doorbell™ app.
Can the Ring Video Doorbell™ capture clear video footage even at night?
Yes, the Ring Video Doorbell™ features an array of IR LEDs to illuminate the camera's field of view when a lack of light is detected within the device.